Friday 27 February 2015

Cefn Bryn

Grimmia trichophylla low-right on rock
As it was a beautiful morning and the forecast is rubbish for the weekend, I took Alfie for a stroll over that part of Cefn Bryn within SS49V. The square already had 81 species logged, but I've always wanted to look in the small ORS quarry at SS49759012 along with the sparse scattering of rocks on the common in the hope of finding Hedwigia. During our perambulation I failed to find any Hedwigia, but did manage to take the square total to 99. The quarry had more Ptilidium ciliare above-left than I’ve seen anywhere else in Gower, but little else of note. Other species of interest on the open common included a single small colony of Grimmia trichophylla above-right (I’ll check my sample for lisae over the weekend), Pleuridium acuminatum below top-right, Microlejeuna ulicina growing though a small cushion of Cephaloziella divaricata below top-left on an ORS quartz conglomerate rock and Kurzia pauciflora bottom left & right (Bristly Fingerwort!) growing with Odontoschisma sphagni on Sphagnum papillosum. A brick bunker on the common added a good selection of wall calcicoles.

3 comments:

  1. Some lovely bryos there Barry. In my limited experience in the east Glam uplands, P. ciliare tends to be widespread but only in small quantity - I've never seen it growing in profusion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found it to be locally abundant on some old spoil sites, especially where the sword is broken and in association with lichen.

    ReplyDelete