Tuesday 1 March 2016

Schistidium elegantulum in North Wales

Prior to a meeting in Bangor last week I managed a quick potter about outside our hotel, near the pier. On top of a limestone wall was a Schistidium which looked a good candidate for elegantulum, with conspicuous terete hair points. Following the procedure Sam outlined recently, I chopped up a capsule and was pleased to find eight stomata at the base (though only one visible in photo below). I think this confirms it as elegantulum, but I'd appreciate confirmation. According to the Atlas this would be new for VC49.

2 comments:

  1. Please send it to Tom - that is S elegantulum. Well spotted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent, thanks Sam. And credit must go to you and Barry for highlighting this species in recent blog posts, otherwise I wouldn't have known to look for it.

    ReplyDelete