Tuesday 16 May 2017

Sea Frillwort on Skomer

During our annual pilgrimage to Skomer last Saturday, I didn't do any bryophyte recording, or much else for that matter, as it was nice just to relax enjoy the island ambience. However, I did get on my knees to have a quick scan of the Fossombronia in the farmhouse courtyard in the hope of finding capsules in the extreme drought conditions - as expected, this proved to be 'fruitless' exercise. But I did have success elsewhere, in fact, not too far from the farmhouse, along the edge of the path that heads out towards the Wick, where it passes over one of the Mugearite outcrops, there was a nice Fossombronia colony with plenty of dried up, but seemingly intact capsules. Examination of spore and stem anatomy last night provided confirmation of F. maritima as a Skomer species.
barren courtyard Foss.
fertile footpath Foss. with Archidium

I never photographed the location, but as I didn't get
on my knees too often I'm pretty sure this was the spot.
In any case my ref for the colony was SM7268409272
The main direct associates here included Archidium alternifolium, Campylopus introflexus, Erodium maritimum, Lophocolea semiteres, Plantago coronopus and Sagina subulata.

3 comments:

  1. Good work Barry - one to look out for in the far west. Maybe one day I'll set foot on Skomer myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Barry - you did better than I did on my Skomer survey, when I suspected F maritime but couldn't confirm it, and also better than I managed on Lundy where I also thought the Fossombronia was F maritima but couldn't confirm it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always an excuse to go back again!

    ReplyDelete