Thursday 12 April 2018

D'Arcy Didymodon diversity

A 30-40 minute stop to check out a patch of 'wasteground' by D'Arcy Business Centre yesterday revealed a rich diversity of Didymodon spp., those recorded being fallax, ferrugineus, luridus, tophaceus, umbrosus (below, photos 1 & 2) plus what might be icmadophilus, which will be the first time I've seen it away from the Gorseinon area if confirmed. There was also some Pellia endiviifolia which was fruiting in patches denser than I recall seeing before (photo 3) and a little Bryoerythrophyllum ferruginescens. No Funaria was seen! Vascular plant interest was provided by a strong colony of 300+ seedlings of what could be Filago vulgaris (photos 5 & 6), though needs checking in Poland and/or by growing on my specimen - unless anyone knows this species at this age?

3 comments:

  1. In my experience, the overwintering rosettes of Filago vulgaris are not quite as woolly-hairy as that, i.e. green on upper surface (I'll send you a photo), although the habitat looks right. I think your plants may be Gnaphalium uliginosum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Charles, I've planted my spec outside the front door, so its form will be engrained for future reference!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, some nice records for NPT, especially D. umbrosus and (hopefully) icmadophilus

    ReplyDelete